How to Become a Born Again Christian
What does it mean to be a born-again Christian? The classic passage from the Bible that answers this question is John 3:1-21. The Lord Jesus Christ is talking to Nicodemus, a prominent Pharisee and member of the Sanhedrin (the ruling body of the Jews). Nicodemus had come to Jesus at night with some questions.
As Jesus talked with Nicodemus, He said, “‘I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’ ‘How can a man be born when he is old?’ Nicodemus asked. ‘Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!’ Jesus answered, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, “You must be born again”’” (John 3:3-7).
The phrase "born again" literally means "born from above." Nicodemus had a real need. He needed a change of his heart—a spiritual transformation. New birth, being born again, is an act of God whereby eternal life is imparted to the person who believes (2 Corinthians 5:17; Titus 3:5; 1 Peter 1:3; 1 John 2:29; 3:9; 4:7; 5:1-4, 18). John 1:12, 13 indicates that being "born again" also carries the idea of "becoming children of God" through trust in the name of Jesus Christ.
The question logically comes, "Why does a person need to be born again?" The apostle Paul in Ephesians 2:1 says, "And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins" (NKJV). To the Romans he wrote, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). Sinners are spiritually “dead”; when they receive spiritual life through faith in Christ, the Bible likens it to a rebirth. Only those who are born again have their sins forgiven and have a relationship with God.
How does that come to be? Ephesians 2:8-9 states, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." When one is saved, he/she has been born again, spiritually renewed, and is now a child of God by right of new birth. Trusting in Jesus Christ, the One who paid the penalty of sin when He died on the cross, is the means to be "born again." "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17).
You Can't Keep Sinning
Being a Born Again Christ is not easy. You must understand that both the road and the gate into heaven are very narrow, quite difficult and you will mostly travel it alone, but yet, God will be there with you every step of the way. Most so called "Christians" travel the wide path that everyone else travels and then somehow believe that will lead them to the narrow gate of heaven. They believe they can have unbridled sin and do whatever they want, just because they said the "Prayer of Salvation." They have been terribly deceived by their pastors, friends or family. Jesus died on the cross for your sins, but he did not die in vain for you to not turn away from sin. There are many verses in the bible people just ignore or do not take seriously. God was NOT kidding about the following verses . . .
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.
Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.
For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, no adulterers, nor men who practise homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 6:9-10
The Sinners Prayer Doesn't Work
Many Pastors and Christians agree that in order to become "Born Again," you must say the sinners prayer. The reality is that no one in the Bible ever prayed the "sinner's prayer," or even prayed for their initial salvation. However, they did believe, repent, confess Jesus and be immersed in water for the forgiveness of their sins. The sinners prayer is a man made ideology that thwarts God's plan of salvation.
1. First, they replaced believers baptism by immersion with infant baptism by sprinkling.
2. Second, they later replaced baptism altogether with the "sinners prayer" so that baptism is no longer even part of the plan of salvation. If you prayed the "sinners prayer" for your salvation, you are still lost in your sins, because it is not what God said to do.
It is a proven fact that 80-90% of people who say the sinner's prayer turns back to their old ways and yet they view themselves as "Christians." It makes sense then that only 10-20% of the congregations who attend Christian Churches are truly saved and are true followers of Christ. This explains why awhile ago, the Holy Spirit told me that most people who attend church will not make it to Heaven. This did not make sense at the time to me, but now it does. I said the sinner's prayer along time ago and did not turn from sin, but I thought that my place was in Heaven. About a year ago, the Holy Spirit told me, "your place is in Heaven, but you are not ready." This made no sense to me because I had said the sinner's prayer. That is when I truly desired to repent and dedicate every moment of my life to Jesus and get baptized.
Baptism is Extremely Important
Baptism is full of significance and should be performed on the same day of repentence and turning our hearts to Christ. Paul teaches us that the Christian is supposed to go through a similar experience to what Jesus went through in His death, burial and resurrection. The difference is that Jesus died physically and actually came back to life; we're to die to our sin, self and old ways, and then rise again to live a holy life through the power of Jesus. In other words, baptism is an outward symbol of an inner change and transformation that is supposed to take place beforehand. It's not that we have to completely overcome sin before we can be baptized, but we need to repent of our past sins and have our minds made up that we want to overcome sin.
In the same way Jesus went down into the grave, we go down in the water of baptism, which represents our death to sin and the burial of our old life. "therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away: behold, all things are become new." 1 Corinthians 5:17 Sin needs to die (pass away) in our life and Jesus will take It's place. This doesn't mean that we will ever sin again, because sin has a way of coming back to life, but it does mean like Pauls said, "that we should no longer be slaves of sin." and that we should, "reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body that should obey its lusts." Sin will no longer dominate or control our lives and we will strive to "be holy even as He is holy." 1 Peter 1:15-16 as the Lord works in us "both to will and to do His good pleasure." Philippians 2:13
If you have never trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior, will you consider the prompting of the Holy Spirit as He speaks to your heart? You need to be born again. Will you pray the prayer of repentance and become a new creation in Christ today? "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God" (John 1:12-13).
Steps You Need to Take
If you truly want to die to yourself and become a new creature in Christ and commit the rest of your life to following Christ, then please read these steps very carefully.
1. Get on your knees and repent to Jesus for your sins and tell Him that you believe that He is your Lord and Savior and you will commit the rest of your life to serving him.
2. Get Baptized with full submersion immediately! This can be done by anyone who is a Born Again Christian and it can be done anywhere that has enough water to be fully submersed in, like a bathtub, pool, lake, etc.
3. Get a King James Version Bible and start reading it. This is important because some other versions of the Bible have been corrupted. I personally listen to an audio Bible to help me get through some of the more difficult parts of the Bible Click Here I then find the verse in my Bible and if it really spoke to me, I highlight it in my Bible for reference or I make notes about it.
4. Make time for prayer every day where there are no distractions. Your prayer should consist of a mixture of thanking and praising God for all he has done for you, praying and interceding for others and asking for your needs/requests. Most importantly, I think prayer should include you asking for the Holy Spirit to convict you immediately of your sins and sincerely seek and ask God to reveal what your sin is/was and repent for it. Ask God how you can better serve him on a daily basis.
5. Flee from sin like your life depended on it. You are not saved by good works, but once you are saved through faith, then you must sin no more. I found it a very effective habit to really study scripture about sin and really get to know what God expects of you and what he does not want you to do or to be. If you try to not sin on your own effort, you will fall short and possibly give up, like many people do. If you humbly get on your knees and love and pursue God with all your heart, it is amazing how much deep rooted sin will just start to fade away. Tell God every day to show you how to not sin and become righteous in Jesus name. God will hear your prayer and answer it because he wants that even more than you . . . only if you are willing. You will never become free from sin, because we all fall short, but you must never be satisfied with unbridled sin in your life.
6. There are many people who think that in order to be a good Christian you should go to church and I would agree with that statement except for one big problem . . . many Pastors have now become like wolves. They are literally leading their congregation to eternal damnation. You must pray for discernment when you attend church. Click Here to learn about what is happening to American Churches. I really feel that if you have to choose to attend a church that is lukewarm or no church at all, then you are better off attending no church at all. Lukewarm Christians are abhorent to God and being part of a lukewarm church is extremely destructive and separates you from Christ in the long run.
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Revelation 3:16